There is a post rolling around in my head, but I’m not ready to write it. My sweet friend Tara who is mom to a child with Down syndrome, was slapped upside the head, figuratively speaking, by a college at lunch who thought that by prefacing her comment with “No offense” it was okay to then cause great offense by saying she wouldn’t want a child like that. Selfishness. Entitlement. It’s a theme that has been coming up a lot. I want to write about these things in the light of being a mom to a kid with special needs, and in preparation of my upcoming trip to Afghanistan. But, if I write it right now it will come out as a rant and I don’t want to do that. Instead, go over and read Tara’s post. She does a better job at being gracious then I would. http://simeonstrail.blogspot.com/2011/09/out-of-left-field.html
Also, I’m selfish and feel entitled all the time. Need to look at the plank in my own eye. So, I’m taking a page from a blog I really enjoy, The Tao of Tulips. She writes a Gratitude Journal every week. Just a simple list of things she’s thankful for. I need to do that. I need to reflect on the beautiful and kind things in my life.
So, here is the first of my weekend Gratitude Journals:
10. kids are old enough to entertain themselves so I could sleep in this morning.
9. my sister is visiting from AK
8. my newest nephew and his sweet blue eyes
7. cold, rainy morning
6. a new funky coffee mug (thanks CJ and JJ)
5. siblings reconnecting after a busy week
6. watching The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe for the first time with Violet and watching her grasp the Biblical meaning of the story
5. Burt’s Bees
4. fresh garden tomatoes
3. a close family who are such a help now that Mr. I has started his trip to South Asia
2. a sweet note Mr. I left in the coffee can so I’d find it the morning after he left
1. a boy and his elephant bag and a great first day of preschool.
What are you thankful for?